Upcoming Events and Announcements
- Grace Gathering September 7: “Grace Gathering” is the beginning of First Church’s fall program year. This event is for all First Church members and friends. We begin with the traditional breakfast served in Wesley Hall from 9:15-10:15 a.m. Breakfast will be a congenial fellowship time when we re-connect with one another, share summer happenings, and make plans to attend the Education programs and new small group ministries offered during the 2014-2015 year. We will return to two worship services on this day, at 8:10 and 10:25 a.m.
- The Religion of Islam: An Adult Education offering. Members of First Church and residents of Bridgeway of Bensenville will meet together to learn about one of the fastest growing religious groups in the United States. The guest teacher (via DVD) will be Professor John L. Esposito from Georgetown University. Reverend Ronald Graham and Reverend Mark Matthews, the chaplain at Bridgeway of Bensenville, will be leading the study. Sessions will be held on six consecutive Tuesdays at 10 A.M. beginning Tues. Sept. 2nd and ending on Tues. Oct. 8th. The group will meet at Bridgeway of Bensenville. Those preregistering on the registration sheet in Wesley Hall will be contacted and given directions to Bridgeway.
- You Oughtta be in Pictures! In fact, we ALL “oughtta be”! With our new pastor, new church administrator, and many new members, it's time for a new Pictorial Directory, and it won't be complete without your smiling face. LifeTouch photographers will be here October 8th -11th and every family or individual photographed will receive a free directory. You will also have the opportunity to order additional pictures and photo Christmas cards if you wish. Sign up for your session on Sunday mornings at church or online during the week. To sign up online please use this link and follow the simple instructions. If you have any questions or need to sign up by phone, please call Kelley Hook at 630-852-2433. This “family portrait” connects us to each other and shares with everyone the vital ministries of this congregation. Please join us in this celebration!
- Summer Grounds Maintenance ongoing: Enjoy the lovely late summer weather working with your church family! The next Grounds Maintenance date is Monday, August 25. Bring your garden tools and share in the fellowship of tending our beautiful church grounds.
Hark! The First Church Angels Sing, Ring and Play
- Upcoming Youth Events: The first youth event of the year, the Youth Group Road Rally, is on August 24th. This year we will leave for the road rally right after the 9:25 church service so the event will run from 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Lunch will be served and friends are welcome. Permission slips can be found on the youth group bulletin board in Wesley Hall and are due August 17th. Sorry; no late slips will be accepted. As always, we are in need of parents to drive and monitor the race sites so please contact Lisa Rogers is you can help, email@example.com. It's going to be lots of fun, so I hope to see you there.
Get ready for a new season of experiencing God’s word through music, with choir rehearsals resuming in September, according to the schedule below. Come and share the joy of participation in one of the following music groups:
- Chancel Choir - (High School & older) - Thursdays: 7:00-8:30 beginning Sept. 4; Sundays: rehearsal at 9:30 a.m., sing at 10:25 Worship beginning Sept. 7
- Joyful Noise Choir — (Sunday School Classes) - Sundays: 9:15-9:25, beginning Sept. 14
- Chapel Chimers (handbell choir-Middle School & older, with several years of music reading experience) Sundays:(immediately following 10:25 worship service) beginning Sept. 7
- Youth Choir - (Middle and High School) - participants will be notiï¬Â┬üed of rehearsals
- Chancel Players - (instrumentalists who have contacted Debbie Hatmaker) participants will be notiï¬Â┬üed of rehearsals
Interested? Questions? Call: Debbie Hatmaker (630-941-0502).
Raggedy Anne Learning Center Fall Registration Open
: Serving Elmhurst since 1970, Raggedy Anne is now accepting new students for Fall classes. “Raggedy Anne is not a babysitting service – rather, it is a learning environment for children 2 (not trained) to 5. We offer preschool hours (9-11:30) in addition to full day care. We have affordable rates and for First Church families we offer a 15% discount. You know where we are – just give me a call. Carol – 630-530-2666”
Food and Fun For All at September Fellowship Dinners
First Church members are invited to attend the 2014 Fellowship Dinners on Saturday, September 27 from 6:00-8:30 p.m. Fellowship Dinners are a wonderful way to meet new people and get to know each other better in a relaxed, informal setting. If you are willing to host an adult only or family friendly dinner in your home, please contact Tracy Meehan at firstname.lastname@example.org
, or Gail Upson at email@example.com
. Childcare and supper for children will also be provided at the church for a small donation.
Look for sign-up sheets on the Member Growth & Care table in Wesley Hall. After dinner, everyone will gather at the church for dessert and coffee.