Upcoming Events and Announcements
MEET PASTOR JOE
We are excited about several opportunities in September for you to meet and get to know Pastor Joe in a casual setting. Sign up in Wesley Hall to join one of our hosts for a small gathering of appetizers, desserts, and conversation.
- Sunday, Sept. 14 at 2pm
- Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 7pm
- Thursday, Sept. 18 at 7pm
- Tuesday, Sept. 23 at 7pm
- Photo Sessions for our New Directory
We are excited to be creating a new Church Pictorial Directory this Fall. LifeTouch will be here October 8th -11th with available sessions 3-9 PM Wednesday through Friday and 10-4 on Saturday. Every family photographed will receive a free directory and have the opportunity to order additional pictures and photo Christmas cards if you like. There is no obligation to purchase.
Sign up for your family's photography session in the Narthex TODAY or you may register online during the weekâ€‹ through our church website. Simply click on the Online Church Directory tab on the homepage. If you have any questions or wish to sign up by phone, please call Kelley Hook at 630-852-2433.
- The annual FUMC Youth Group Sleep Out Saturday barbecue is September 21st after the 10:25 service. The youth will prepare and serve a barbecue lunch in the South parking lot (if the weather is bad we will be in Wesley Hall). The lunch is FREE but donations will be gratefully accepted and will benefit Bridge Communities. Bridge is an organization that houses homeless families in DuPage County for two years. During the two year program Bridge mentors the families and helps them be able to transition into their own home. This year we will host a family who graduated from the Bridge program at the barbecue. The family will also speak about their experience during the 10:25 service so I hope you will be able to join us on September 21st.
- Join the Youth Group as we again travel to Jonamac Orchard, on Saturday, September 27th, 12-7:00 p.m. Jonamac is a really fun orchard with a HUGE corn maze, petting zoo, apple cannons, jump pillow and apple picking. We always have such a fun time there and all are welcome. Contact Lisa Rogers if you would like to join us, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The First Church Library Committee is interested in your feedback so we can improve the library in room 101. Please complete our survey (bulletin insert, emailed with Upcoming Events and Announcements, or on the Education table in Wesley Hall) and return it to the church office or put it in the offering plate. If you give us your name, you will be entered into a drawing for one of two gift cards: $50 from Jewel or $50 from Mariano’s. The drawing will take place Sept. 24, so complete your survey by then. Watch the Visitor for the results.
- Imagine No Malaria Loose Change Jar – In support of the broader UMC effort to support Imagine No Malaria, the missions team is asking the congregation to donate their loose change in support of this worthy cause. You will find the change sorter on the missions table in Wesley Hall, along with materials explaining the importance of Imagine No Malaria and why it is such a strong focus for the global church.
- Event Planners Needed: Our next BIG event is the Spring 2015 Auction and we need a few interested people to be on the planning/organizing committee. Contact Susan Boyd by September 15th: boyd.susan.ml@gmail.
- Grace Café Needs You! First Church will be hosting Grace Café, a dinner for those in need, on Monday, September 22. We asking for volunteers to donate ingredients, cook, serve, and clean-up . Pleae sign up at the card table next to the coffee table in Wesley Hall.
- Bring in used Floral Urns and Vases: Gina Baker, our florist, is running low on urns for our arrangements. If you have one at home please bring it in!